What is encryption?
Encoding data to ensure that no one but the recipient can access/read using mathematical algorithms protecting it from malicious people
converting plaintext -> ciphertext using mathematical algorithms, protecting it from malicious users
What is cloud encryption?
converting plaintext -> ciphertext using mathematical algorithms before data is transferred to cloud
ciphertext -> plaintext using same key
- Even if data is stolen / there is a breach, data cannot be read or accessed without the key
- protects sensitive data
- ensures only authorized have access
How does Encryption work?
data -- algorithms + encryption 🔑 --> encrypted data
graph LR C(text)--encryption--->A(cipher text) A--decryption-->C
Cloud encryption types
Data is in either of two states in the cloud
- transit - data in transit is when data is being moved to or from the cloud
- rest - data at rest is when it is just being stored
Data encryption in transit
HTTPS Protocol - provides security socket layer (SSL)
Data encryption at rest
data encypted so even if someone accesses it, it is worthless jumble of gibberish
multi-factor authentication (MFA)
- something only you know
- something only you have
- something that is part of you (biometric)